We are interested in articulate, well-informed remarks that are relevant to the article. We welcome your advice, your criticism and your unique insights into the issues of the day. Please take some time to review this comment policy and remember that, as a commenter, you are responsible for what you post.
Keep it civil (aka don’t be a jerk)
We’re going to get into the thick of a lot of heated discussions and that’s okay. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately defend. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to remember to criticize ideas, not people.
Remember to avoid:
• ad hominem attacks
• Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
• knee-jerk contradiction
Comments that we find to be hateful, inflammatory, or harassing may be removed. If you don’t have something nice to say about another user, don’t say it. Treat others the way you’d like to be treated.
Sexist, racist, misogynist, homophobic, and broad, offensive generalizations about groups of people are simply not allowed. Comments or discussions written intentionally to provoke will also be removed.
We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user’s privilege to post content on our site.
Always strive to add value to every interaction and discussion you participate in
If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.
Be sure your topic matches the general theme of the article.
A discussion or comment that contains only a link to your blog, a product, or your article on another site will almost always be removed.
Choose Your (Curse) Words Wisely
Comments that contain profanity are automatically held for moderator review before being posted. Depending on the context of the comment, it may be removed. Profanity used to insult, antagonize, or inflame will always be removed.
Don’t Copy and Paste
If you didn’t write it, or haven’t properly cited the article you’re quoting, don’t post it.
If you see something, say something
We attempt to review our comments section regularly but we can’t always review every comment. If you see an issue, flag the comment(s) for review.
By commenting on our site:
1. You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you submit. You will promptly remove any content that you have posted should you discover that it violates these rules or that it is otherwise inappropriate. You will indemnify AIM Media Midwest and its affiliates and their subsidiaries, and its and their directors, officers, managers, employees, shareholders, agents, and licensors, from and against losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from any claim brought by any third party relating to content you have posted.
2. You understand and agree that we are not responsible for any user submitted content. You further understand that we have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor comments and we may remove content that we deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user’s privilege to post content on our site. We may reject or remove any comment at any time, with or without notice to you.
3. You certify that you are at least 13 years of age. If you are under the age of 13, please do not submit any content to us. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13 years of age, you may submit content only with the permission of, and under the supervision of, a parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent or legal guardian agreeing to these rules for the benefit of an individual between the ages of 13 and 18, please be advised that you are fully responsible for his or her submissions and any legal liability that he or she may incur.
4. You acknowledge and agree any use and/or reliance on any information obtained through the comment section at your own risk. We are not in any manner endorsing the content of the comment section and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.