GALION — Traffic will be more congested along Ohio 598 for the next two months as work begins today on the a project to upgrade city utilities along Portland Way North, from Heise Park Lane to Carter Drive.
A sewer line is being replaced and the road atop it is being will be rebuilt.
The west lane of Portland Way North will close this week. The road will only be open to northbound traffic during the project.
Local southbound drivers are being asked to use the state-approved local detour route, which is: Brandt Road to Biddle Road to Bucyrus Road and back to Ohio 598.
Commercial trucks will use a state detour route. Electronic signs are in place along Ohio 30 to alert drivers of the road closure.
- The Timberlane subdivision will remain accessible via Portland Way North. This will be the only access point for residents.
- Cedargate Apartments will be accessible via the north drive only.
- The main drive to the Galion City Schools campus will be shut down during the project. Drivers will need to use the Hesby Drive entrance.
- Ralphie’s and Alger Arms Apartments will be accessible via Heise Park Lane.
Here is the expected construction calender. It could change due to weather.
- Today: Roadway closed to southbound traffic; sewer work begins
- July 5: Begin road excavation on west lane
- July 12-14: Pour concrete for west lane
- July 19: Switch work to east lane; Begin excavation
- July 26-28: Pour concrete for east lane
- August 7-9: Pour concrete for center lane
- August 10-15: Final striping and cleanup.