Crime Victim Compensation Program paid out $41,000 last year in Crawford County

Staff report

BUCYRUS — Crawford County Prosecutor Matthew Crall reported that Crawford County residents were able to receive more than $41,000 last year from the Crime Victim Compensation Program.

The program, administered by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, allows eligible victims of violent crimes to be reimbursed for economic loss for certain expenses. The Prosecutor’s Office assists victims in completing applications for compensation to help alleviate their financial burden after the victimization.

“We want to help people recover from their victimization in every way that we can,” Crall said. “One way is to help them with the unexpected economic loss that they may experience. Most people have insurance that will pay the expenses that are incurred, but for those who do not, or have deductibles and co-pays, we want to help them get the expenses paid so that it does not leave them in economic distress.”

The maximum amount of reimbursement is $50,000.00. Economic losses that can be recovered are:

  • Medical and related expenses.
  • Funeral and burial expenses (up to $7,500).
  • Dependents’ economic losses resulting from the death of a victim.
  • Counseling expenses for immediate family members of victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, homicide, or a crime that has resulted in a severe and permanent incapacitating injury, such as paraplegia (up to $2,500 per family member).
  • Crime scene cleanup expenses (up to $750).
  • Compensation for property held as evidence (up to $750).

Victims cannot receive compensation for pain and suffering, stolen property, or property crimes. Also, the program is a payer of last resort, and will not compensate for economic losses that can be recovered from another source, such as an insurance company.

The Attorney General holds offenders financially accountable for their crimes. The Subrogation Unit’s collection efforts against offenders, insurance companies, and other liable parties allow for the fund to be reimbursed.

“If you are a victim of a violent crime, or if you know someone who is, and have expenses like those listed above, please call our office at 419-562-9782 and we will be more than glad to help you complete an application for compensation.” Crall said.

Staff report