The City of Galion will conduct mosquito spraying this week. Weather permitting, the half of the city north of Harding Way will be sprayed on Wednesday while the half of the city south of Harding Way will be sprayed on Thursday.
Tips to avoid mosquito bites and prevent mosquito-borne diseases:
– If you are outdoors when mosquitoes are most active, be sure to wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, shoes and socks.
– Wear light-colored clothing, which is less attractive to mosquitoes.
– Use EPA-registered mosquito repellent and follow the label directions. Repellents containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535 and some oil of lemon eucalyptus and para-menthane-diol products provide longer-lasting protection.
– Wear clothing and gear treated with permethrin, an insecticide (do not apply permethrin directly to skin).
– Install or repair screens on windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out of your home.
Tips to eliminate mosquito breeding sites around your home:
– Eliminate standing water.
– Empty or remove water-holding containers, such as buckets, unused flower pots and bird baths.
– Make sure all roof gutters are clean and draining properly.
– Keep child wading pools empty and on their sides when not being used.
More information can be found on the Ohio Department of Health’s website: