After a public records request by the Inquirer, the city has released the names of the nine candidates who applied for the position.
* Missy Harris of Galion is a freelance writer and book editor, having written a few biographies and ghost written autobiographies. She was a reporter for the Inquirer in 2010. Harris has a degree in Sociology from Columbia University in New York.
* Debra DeAnn Morrison of Galion recently worked as a cashier and processor at Goodwill, 753 Carter Drive, and has a degree in accounting and computing from the Pioneer Career Technical Center in Shelby.
* Matt Echelberry of Bucyrus works as a digital retoucher/quality control at Lifetouch Church Directories on Portland Way North. He was a reporter for the Inquirer from April 2012 to June 2015. He was editor-in-chief of The Kilikilik, the campus newspaper for Heidelberg University in Tiffin, where he also has a degree in english writing with a minor in film studies.
* Nathan Crock of Galion is a freelance writer for the Richland Source in Mansfield. He also freelanced for the Inquirer from June 2012 to December 2014.
* Rachel H.T. Mendell of Galion is a freelance editing/writing coach. She wrote for the Richland Source and was the editor of Inquirer from 2011 to 2014. She was a reporter for the Inquirer, The Morrow County Sentinel and the Crestline Advocate. She has a degree in education from the Dr. Martin Luther College in New Ulm, Minn.
* Mary Hite of Mansfield is a cashier at Save-A-Lot in Mansfield. She was a realtor for the Haring Realty in Mansfield from 2005 to 2007.
* Russel Kent of Galion was a content/feature editor for the Media Network of Central Ohio in Mansfield, managing 10 different newspapers from June 2008 to November 2015. He has more than 25 years experience as an editor, reporter and copy-editor for print and online platforms. He has a degree from The Ohio State University.
* Shelli A. Stockmeister of Bloomville is a program coordinator for the First Call for Help in Tiffin. She has a bachelor’s degree in public relations from Tiffin Universtiy, where she later received a master’s degree of humanities in communication.
* John Jarvis was a reporter for the Marion Star from 1987 to October 2015. He has a degree in journalism from The Ohio State University.
Council is currently in budget talks. After the first reading Nov. 24, the Public Information Officer position wasn’t in the 2016 budget. Council will revisit the budget and recovery plan in its next meeting on Dec. 8.
Reach Klein at 419-468-1117, ext. 2048 or on Twitter at @brandoneklein.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU