Galion City Council is expected to vote Tuesday night on the proposed Public Information Officer position.
And now they have a job description to consider.
Galion Mayor Tom O’Leary released his office’s draft of the job duties for the position earlier this week.
Here are the highlights:
* The position will be under the supervision of the mayor
* The role would be to maintain positive relations between the public and the City using both written and oral communication
* The position is responsible for web content management, research, documentation, preparation and distribution of written and oral communications to the media and responses to public record requests
* Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college in communications, journalism, public relations or related field required
* Past experience as a Pubic Information Officer helpful, but not required.
* Extensive knowledge of Galion government and organizations
The full description of the position is available in O’Leary’s office.
The mayor’s office wrote the description upon request by Galion Law Director Thomas Palmer after a discussion in a previous meeting on the duties and pay of the position.
“We want to try to promote the community,” Galion City Council member Mike Richart said. “We’re looking for someone to respond to inquires from outside businesses and respond to public records request.”
Richart said this would help free up others to be more efficient in their own duties.
O’Leary said he hopes the position would be around 35 hours per week and starting pay would be in line with the pay of administrative clerk position, which is around $13.50 per hour.
“My expectation is a lot of the duties will involve public records work along with informing the public about outages and potential construction projects and utilities,” O’Leary said. “A fair amount of this work will be utility-related. Our plan is to come up with some formula to divide up those costs (between departments).”
Reach Evans at 419-468-1117 ext. 2049 or on Twitter at @deborahevans31
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU