Have you ever wondered what happens in the “off season” of the 4-H year, once 4-H Camp and the Crawford County and Ohio State Fairs have wrapped? While the 4-H club year kicks off at the beginning of the calendar year — and wraps up in the fall — there are other activities and fundraisers happening throughout the remainder of the year.
National 4-H Week is being celebrated through Saturday, and I wanted to share a little bit about the 4-H program that involves the not-so-visible activities that will be happening this fall.
To begin with, the local Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) will be having its annual Fall Paper Clover days Oct. 4-16. Look for local 4-H clubs to be at TSC in Bucyrus during this time.
The third annual Cloverbud Fall Festivities event is Oct. 11, from 6-8 .m., at Unger Park. This event is open to youth in the county in preschool to 2nd grade. More information can be obtained at the Extension website www.crawford.osu.edu, including the registration form. Advanced registration is required, as there is only space for 35 participants.
For those who aren’t familiar, 4-H is an educational program for youth. Youth involved in 4-H “learn by doing” as they participate in projects and activities designed to help them develop as individuals and become responsible, productive members of society.
The expectations for 4-H membership are a balance between 4-H project work, involvement in the 4-H club, participation in 4-H activities and events, and working toward personal growth. One way the older youth work toward personal growth is the “Older Youth Trips.” To fund these trips, the Crawford County 4-H Advisory Committee has fundraisers, with both a large and small event coming up in November.
The Crawford County Advisory Committee is hosting the “4-H Forever in Crawford County Dinner and Auction.” The proceeds from this event will be split: 25 percent will go to the Crawford County 4-H Scholarship Fund, and the remaining 75 percent will go to to the Advisory Committee to help pay for the programming that we support on the county level. These programs include 4-H Camp Counselor training and Camper Scholarships, Advisor training, and Older Youth Award Trips. You will notice a theme of leadership with these trips: Ohio Leadership Camp, Buckeye Leadership Workshop, Leadership Washington Focus, and Citizenship Washington Focus, to name a few.
The dinner and auction is open to the public, and will take place Nov. 4 at the Youth Building on the Crawford County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 5:30pm, with dinner catered by Katering Kounty Style, starting at 6 p.m. The evening will include a live auction and Chinese auction — in addition to a few additional sales — and a DJ with dancing. Individual tickets are $20 each, and Reservations are due by October 18th. We are also still accepting donations for the auction. More information can be obtained from the “4-H Forever in Crawford County” Facebook page, or by emailing CC4HForever@gmail.com.
An additional fundraiser that is currently going on is the fall baked goods sale. Katering Kountry Style Peanut Butter Bars, Cinnamon Rolls and Pumpkin Rolls are available for order by Nov. 10, and will be available for delivery in time for Thanksgiving, on Nov. 20th. For more information, visit the “4-H Forever in Crawford County” Facebook page, or email CC4HForever@gmail.com.
I encourage all 4-H alumni, volunteers and parents — in addition to those not currently involved in the program — to get involved in theactivities coming up this fall. Help us continue to Make the Best Better by investing in today’s youth.
The 3rd Annual Cloverbud Fall Festivities will occur on October 11th from 6-8pm at Unger Park. This event is open to youth in the county in preschool to 2nd grade. More information can be obtained at the Extension website www.crawford.osu.edu, including the registration form. Advanced registration is required, as there is only space for 35 attendees.
These 4-H members enjoyed their trip on the Miller Ferry on Lake Erin during a trip to the islands.
Older kids in 4-H take part in many activities including Capital Hill Day, as these members did.
Janice Butler is treasurer of the Crawford County 4-H Advisory Committee
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU